National Association of Catholic Youth Ministry
Leaders Is an association of youth ministry leaders serving in dioceses, parishes, schools, and other settings.
- a professional organization of ordained and lay ecclesial ministers dedicated
to the field of youth ministry
- open to adults who:
- view their role in youth ministry as a vocation
committed to ongoing professional development and ministry formation
- are connected to a Catholic parish, school, diocese, or other organization
- dedicated to strengthening and supporting its members in their ministerial practice and professional development
- a member-driven organization
Member Driven Organization
Some organizations are the "I pay you, you do something for me" type of club. Not NACYML. NACYML members discern and decide what is important and necessary for the field of Catholic Youth Ministry and the membership. Read more about being a part of a 'member driven' organization, and become a part of this growth by joining the over 650 other leaders in youth and campus ministry who are driving this movement forward.
2012 NACYML Accomplishments
Listed below are the many activities undertaken by the NACYML Leadership Team (LT) that provide both benefit to NACYML members and assists NACYML in making this paradigm shift from NACYML being a national association of members (focused inward on what do I get for membership), to a “community of practice” (focused outward on what can I contribute to the practice of youth ministry). The LT, Executive Committee, and the NFCYM Staff have been hard at work on these initiatives, during the past year.
- LT Member Approval—We welcome Craig Gould, Eric Groth, and Kathy Bull to the LT and thank them for being willing to step forth and lead.
- Shift the Responsibility of National Certification from the NFCYM to NACYML—The NACYML LT and the NFCYM Board have approved the shift of responsibility for national certification to NACYML with staff support from the NFCYM.
- NACYML Notes—The monthly communication with members has received positive feedback from members.
- NACYML Coupons—This program provides quality discount offers especially for NACYML members from NFCYM collaborating members and other youth ministry resources individuals and organizations). The list is posted on the NACYML members’ only website.
- Biennial Membership Meeting and Banquet—The NACYML membership met in Orlando, Thursday, November 29, 4:30 pm-7:30 pm, during the National Conference on Catholic Youth Ministry. It was a great success and the first time the member meeting has taken place within the conference instead of prior to the conference. The gathering was the largest overall attendance at a NACYML meeting with over 200 people in attendance.
- 2013 NCCYM Certification Preconference—NACYML hosted a preconference during NCCYM on National Certification for both parish and diocesan leaders.
- OnCourse Continuing Education—The OnCourse resource webinars with various national experts in youth ministry are now free to all members. Additionally, the dates for OnCourse Youth Ministry Specialization Certificate have been set and promotion has begun. We are pleased to announce our new higher education partner for this program, Loyola Institute for Ministry, New Orleans. Students will be able to take up to 12 hours of graduate credit at a highly discounted tuition rate.
- Proposal to Change the Committee Structure of NACYML—The Executive Committee met with the NFCYM staff to discuss how NACYML can be structured for success. The goal of this change is to expand the leadership of committees and task groups beyond LT members as we currently have in our structure. Additionally, we are seeking to find a way to utilize focus or topic groups to explore issues related to the practice and profession of youth ministry. These groups along with continuing education efforts such as OnCourse webinars are the first steps in realizing NACYML as “community of practice” for the Catholic youth ministry field.
- NACYML Finances—In the past year we have been working to examine the best format for NACYML budget cycle and structure. NACYML has submitted a grant to the Catholic Youth Foundation USA.
- NACYML Ten-Year Anniversary Committee—Following our annual meeting we will be forming an ad-hoc committee to plan for the celebration and milestone of NACYML’s tenth anniversary as an organization for youth ministry leaders.
Renew Your NACYML Membership for 2013
See what a professional minsterial organization can do for you! Membership registration and renewal is now online. Learn more about NACYML and how to become a member.
Make a Connection
- NACYML Group on LinkedIn—NACYML has a group on the LinkedIn website and invites all members to participate. Join Today!
- NACYML Page on Facebook—NACYML has a page on Facebook. Stop by and add your thoughts and comments to the wall!
- NACYML on Twitter! Follow us!
OnCourse Formation Opportunities
Youth Ministry Specialization Certificate
The certificate program is designed to meet the needs of men and women who wish to grow in their knowledge of, and skills for, youth ministry. The certificate program integrates instructional and informational technologies within its coursework and utilizes national competency-based standards in the development of curriculum and assessment.
Courses are taught in a distance-learning format by nationally-recognized youth ministry trainers from Ministry Training Source. The program consists of four courses (consisting of three modules each), addressing the specialized competencies for youth ministry leaders found in the revised National Certification Standards for Lay Ecclesial Ministers. Participants may take the program for a national certificate, and/or twelve hours of graduate credit (provided at an additional cost through Loyola Institute for Ministry in New Orleans).
Learn more . . .
or, go directly to NACYML's Online Registration
The OnCourse Webinars provide participants with new tools and ideas to chart a course through Catholic youth ministry. Sponsored by the National Association for Catholic Youth Ministry Leaders, the webinars will soon expand to year-round offerings. Stay tuned!
Learn more and register . . .
NEW Resource for Youth Ministry Leaders!
Affirming Life: Our Response to God's Love
Vol. 5, Living and Loving Our Catholic Faith Series, NFCYM
Understanding the dignity of being created in the divine image is the impetus that forms in us a deep respect for all human life and that propels us to safeguard it with the utmost zeal and paramount care. Affirming human life, however, should not be reduced to a single issue or narrow political stance. Rather, the church’s teaching on the primacy of life among our inalienable human rights is at the heart of our greatest expression of charity both to God, who is the Author of Life, as well as to our neighbor, for whom we selflessly lay down our life.
In many ways, it forms the human movements of all of our interpersonal and social relationships. From abortion to euthanasia, to poverty and immigration, to war and the death penalty, life issues impact people at every age, ethnicity, and socio-economic level. Affirming Life: Our Response to God’s Love takes a comprehensive approach to teaching youth about the significant issues threatening the life of the least among us.
Remember NACYML Members Receive a 10% Discount on Items Found in NFCYM's Online Store. See Members' Only Page for Discount Code.
NACYML is a service of the National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry (NFCYM)—an organization of affiliated dioceses (represented by the diocesan director of youth ministry). NFCYM's stated purpose is to “serve those who serve the young Catholic Church.” By forming an association, the NFCYM helps to further their mission by more directly serving all professionals responsible for Catholic youth and campus ministry.
NFCYM Windows Web Server